Our June Student Athlete Highlight Is…
Congratulations Brayan on ALL of your accomplishments at the BOX! We are so blessed to have you as one of our 3 Peaks athletes, and also as a friend! It has been awesome watching you grow as an athlete! Your drive to push and become better, focusing on form is awesome! We love your positive coach-able attitude, especially at 5AM! Again Congratulations Brayan!
Here are some questions we asked Brayan:
- How were you introduced to Crossfit? I had always been aware of Crossfit as a training program. During school I had friends that I knew did it, but I never though I was a good enough athlete to try. After I moved to Madras and started working at JCMS, I realized one day that I was in desperate need of a gym because I had let myself go, like really bad. It was then that my sister, who works at Safeway, told me about 3 peaks crossfit. I was hesitant to make the initial call once again since I still believed that I was too out of shape to attempt such a high intensity workout program. After some time thinking about it, I decided to make the call and joined onramp over the 2 week Christmas break and started doing the 5am class after that and I have ever since.
- If you never had to do this one exercise ever again, it would be? Any workout that has a lot of Double Unders…..since I’m really, really, really slow at those still. Plus getting whipped hurts!
- If you had to make up your own WOD it would be? If I had to make up a WOD would be: 15min time cap, AMRAP: 200m, 15T2B, 10 Deadlifts at like 80 or 90% of Max weight.
- Tell us a little about yourself, families, hobbies, job etc…. Well, as Jennifer or Gary or any of the people of the 5am class would tell you, at 24 years old, I’m one of the millennial’s of the bunch. I work at JCMS with an amazing group of kids in a self-contained program designed to meet their specific learning needs. I, along with another instructor work with the students one-on-one and help them make changes and strides in all areas, whether it’d be academic learning or social emotional learning. Outside of the classroom I like to go out with friends and cut loose (I am in my 20’s after all) during the summer months I like being outside as much as possible: hiking, going to the coast, floating the river in Bend, are a few of the things I enjoy doing. Aside from my mom and stepdad, I only have one sibling, a younger sister who is engaged. Also, I have a kid, who just turned 6 years old in January, he’s name is Charlie….and he’s my dog, so I guess he’s my dog-child.
- Your proudest accomplishment? As far as professional accomplishments go it would be getting to work at JCMS with a great staff and students, and just recently winning the Ford scholarship that will pay for the rest of my schooling, like getting my master’s degree and be debt free. As far as personal accomplishments, it would be coming in at 2nd place behind Ian Nelson when we did the Murphy Challenge. The workout kicked my ass, and even though I could hardly move the following days, I enjoyed every minute of it.
- Your favorite cheat meal? My favorite cheat meal would most definitely be an Elk burger from Deschutes Brewery with a Boneyard IPA or a double Dandy’s with bacon from Dandy’s in Bend.
- What you love about 3 Peaks CrossFit? I love the comradry that you feel as soon as you walk through the doors of the box. Everyone has a common goal and no matter what your fitness level is, we all work together to be the best. That is one of the things I look forward to every morning. We push each other, encourage each other, drive each other and even give shit to each other (in a good way).
- Something we might not know about you is? Something unknown to many would be that my whole family and I are musical. My sister sings and knows how to play the piano, bass, and guitar. My stepdad plays the bass, guitar, and saxophone. And I know how to play the drums, guitar, bass and piano. The musical gene unfortunately skipped my mother.