The CrossFit Open is a 5-week competition that hundreds of thousands of CrossFitters from around the world participate in. Every Thursday for 5 weeks, starting February 21st, CrossFit headquarters announces a workout, and athletes have until the following Monday to complete the workout and submit their score.
The last few years, we have created our own 3 Peaks CrossFit Intramural Open, which consists of an in-house team competition that utilizes the weekly Open workouts. Athletes who participate in the 3 Peaks Intramural Open, will have the opportunity to do the workout during our Friday Night Lights Events. Our makeup day will be the Monday following the FNL event (arranged with a coach).
You are not required to sign up on the CrossFit Games website in order to participate in our Intramural Open. If you still would like to register for the official CrossFit Games Open, to see how you stack up with other athletes around the world, you are more than welcome to sign up for it, but it is not mandatory. This sign up can be done at CrossFit Games Website You will choose 3 Peaks CrossFit as your affiliate and we will have official judges to judge your workout. If you have questions as to whether this is a good option to do, please ask your captain and they’ll give you ample info on this.
This year, we will have some new changes to our 3 Peaks CrossFit Intramural Open in house competition.
The first big change to this year’s 3 Peaks Intramural Open is the introduction of the “ONE AND DONE” rule. For our in-house scoring, the only score that will count towards your Intramural Open team score is your first attempt at the Open workout. This first score will be logged and that is what we will be using for our in-house leaderboard. Note, this doesn’t prevent anybody from being able to redo the workout (although we are discouraging it for most people), but we will only be taking the first score for our in-house scoring.
Here are a few main reasons why we are introducing the “one and done” rule to this year’s competition.
- To add even more excitement to Friday’s Night Lights event. With so many people redoing workouts in the past, Fridays were becoming more of a test run than anything else. This year, we want Friday to be the main event.
- Allow you to have your weekends back for the 5 weeks of the Open. Too many people spent their entire weekends refreshing the leader board, planning their retest strategy, and making the Open a way bigger deal than it needed to be. Most of us are not going to the CrossFit Games, and moving up 100 or 1000 spots on the leader board is not going to make or break our lives. “One and done” can help bring back some of the fun and excitement for why we love doing the Open in the first place.
- Keep a great class experience for our Saturday, Sunday, and Monday classes. Open retests have become more and more of a distraction to our class experience over the years, and we want to continue to make the class experience the best possible experience we can. This year, Open tests and retests after Friday will be limited to Monday, when the box is open.
With that being said, if you want to reattempt any of the Open workouts, you probably will still be able to do so, but will need to get a coaches’ approval. If you beat your score on your 2nd attempt, it won’t count towards your 3 Peaks Intramural Open Score, but only entered on your CrossFit Games website as your primary score. Any tests or retests that take place outside of Friday Night Lights will have to be done during Monday when a coach/judge is available. There will be no tests or retests allowed during class times.
The goal of this year’s Open is to bring even more fun and excitement to our in-house team competition, especially our Friday Night Lights event, and remove some of the stress that comes with obsessing over retesting the workouts.
We will also be adding some fun new elements to the team competition, including a “weekly team challenge”, in addition to a “weekly knockout performance”, and the “team spirit award” we had last year. These weekly challenges will factor into the winning team for each week, and for the entire Open.
To sign up for the 3 Peaks Intramural Open, just contact a coach and they can let our captains know. The cost for the 3 Peaks Intramural Open is $15 this year, which helps cover the costs of our FNL events and Finale. The deadline for signing up for the 3 Peaks Intramural Open is Monday February 18th. We will be breaking into 2 different teams, and having a blast !
Another change that is being made is that submissions for the CrossFit Games scores must be entered into the CrossFit Games website by Sunday @ Midnight. Yes we know that you technically have until Monday to submit your scores but here is the deal; we’re trying to stay on top of the weeks to come and would like to have a week finished on Sunday so we can start the Monday off fresh and ready to go. Plus, we need to do our due diligence in making sure the scores add up correctly before approving them and that can take time to recalculate. (Thanks for your cooperation in this).
3 Peaks CrossFit Intramural Open Scoring:
- Every athlete that shows up during FNL will help their team receive 2 points.
- 1 point is given for every athlete that does the workout.
- 3 points are given for every athlete who finishes among the top 4 women or top 4 men in the gym per workout, in EACH category: (Rx’d/Scaled/Intramural Open Scale/Masters)
- Teams are given 5 points if they win the “Spirit of the Open” award on any given week. Spirit of the Open goes to the team who shows the BEST TEAM SPIRIT. This is voted on by spectators, and other other participants the night of the FNL. (Measured Weekly)
- “Best Performance Award” nominated by captains and voted in an online poll that evening. This would be someone that has stood out, NOT as the best “scorer” or if they Rx’d a workout, but someone who has stood out that week overcoming and working hard. Teams that have a “Best Performer” who win the vote will get 10 points added to their score for that week. (Measured Weekly)
- “Weekly Challenges” announced online each Monday. (5 Monday’s) Teams will get 1 point for every person who completes the challenge for that week. Team members MUST report to their Captain that the challenge was completed and Captains will track who completed the challenges so scores can be added.
Alright! Let’s get signed up for the Intramural Open and start prepping for some awesome fun!